Saturday, July 19, 2008

Nintendo World Cup

This week again I am going back to one of my favorite games as a kid. Nintendo's World Cup.


This was a simplistic soccer game, but it had many great features. First, was the graphic style of the game. Nintendo's World Cup borrowed sprites from River City Ransom. When you tackle a player or hit them hard with a soccer ball their eyes bulge out.

Second, was the simple game play. You just tackle, pass, shoot, or do super shots (which consist of either a bicycle kick or a header). If you tackle someone enough they will pass out until a goal is scored or the ball goes out of bounds. Because of this you will often have times when all of the opposing team is passed out. Few things in gaming are as enjoyable as knocking out a soccer player by tackling them over and over.
It was really enjoyable to play through the game. The difficulty ramed up nicely. Cameroon, the first nation you play, is easy to beat. Their team spends most of the game laying on the ground. Germany, on the other hand, is a very difficult team to beat.

1 comment:

Adibobea9 said...

I LOVE this game and I am surprised to even see that you know about it. I believe I got this as a pack-in when I received my NES. It came with the 4-player adapter and had both Super Spike V-Ball and World Cup on 1 cartridge. Both are classic games and I have had my interest peaked on a few new DS games that use the same sprites…