Monday, September 15, 2008

Lawyering Skills

Today I received my offer from Parr Waddoups Brown Gee & Loveless. To celebrate on this blog I am highlighting the one game series that actually helps me train to become a better lawyer: the Ace Attorney series from Capcom.
The Ace Attorney Series is a great addition to the Nintendo DS library. In each of the games you play as a defense attorney through a number of different cases. The game play proceeds in a point-and-click style. In each case you interview potential witnesses, find clues, and conduct your case in court. The major event of each case is the trial. You question witnesses and try and trip them up during their testimony. When they say something that is contradicted by the evidence before the court you yell "Objection!" into the DS microphone and the trial stops while you bring the contradiction to the court's attention.




In each case you are pitted against an overzelous prosecutor; they are willing to go to any length to obtain a conviction. The games also do not follow any standardized rules of procedure. The sense of justice and fairness is also warped; however, the games are still well written and entertaining.





I recently bought the third and final game in the Phoenix Wright series. However, Capcom has recently branched out the series with an all new attorney: Apollo Justice. With this new series I should be able to continue to live out my courtroom dreams for the next year before I start working at Parr Waddoups.

No comments: